Brushing & Flossing
BE SURE TO SEE YOUR GENERAL DENTIST EVERY THREE TO SIX MONTHS FOR YOUR GENERAL DENTAL NEEDS AND CLEANINGS!
Bring your Cleaning Voucher to your next dental visit. If you return it to the office, you will earn 5 Cooke Credits and your dentist or hygienist will be entered in a raffle. Download cleaning voucher PDF here.
There are four targets when brushing your teeth:
Where the teeth meet the gums
- Point the brush toward the gums. This will allow the bristles to sweep away plaque.
- Jiggle the toothbrush 8 times per tooth.
Top of the braces
- With firm pressure, brush the top of the braces
- When brushing the top of the braces be sure the bristles go under the wire and between the brackets
Bottom of the braces
- With firm pressure, brush the bottom of the braces
- When brushing the bottom of the braces be sure the bristles go under the wire and between brackets
Where the teeth meet the gums on the tongue side
- Point the brush towards the gums. This will allow the bristles to sweep away plaque
- Some people find this combined floss and built-in threader tip to be easier to use. Each person needs to use what feels most comfortable.
- Please floss between each tooth – Whether it has a brace on it or not!
Bridge Aid Dental Floss Threader
- Thread the floss through the eye of the Floss Threader
- Slip the threader under the wire with one hand while holding one end of the floss with the other hand.
Interproximal or “Christmas Treee” brush
- The interproximal or “Christmas Tree” brush can be bent in any direction you may need
- Use the brush to clean between the brackets and under the wire
Fluoride is a must when wearing braces. The use of topical fluoride is for the protection of exposed tooth enamel. It helps protect the teeth from decalcification (ugly white spots on your teeth that make them soft). Continue taking any previously prescribed fluoride tablets as they are for the protection of teeth still developing.
It is important to use your fluoride every day and not to eat or drink for at least 30 minutes after using the fluoride. Be sure to brush prior to applying the fluoride.